You can do this grammar quiz online or print it on paper. It tests what you learned on the Reported Speech pages.
1. Which is a reporting verb?
a) tell b) go c) be
2. He said that it was cold outside. Which word is optional?
a) said b) that c) was
3. “I bought a car last week.” Last week he said he had bought a car
a week ago
the week before
a) a week ago b) next week c) the week before
4. “Where is it?” said Mary. She
said where it is
asked where it was
asked if it was there
a) said where it is b) asked where it was c) asked if it was there
5. Which of these is usually required with reported YES/NO questions?
a) if b) do c) why
6. Ram asked me where I worked. His original words were
“Do you work there?”
“Where do I work?”
“Where do you work?”
a) “Do you work there?” b) “Where do I work?” c) “Where do you work?”
7. “Don’t yell!” is a
a) direct request b) direct order c) reported order
8. “Please wipe your feet.” I asked them to wipe
your feet nicely
their feet nicely
a) your feet nicely b) their feet nicely c) their feet
9. She always asks me not to burn the cookies. She always says
“Not to burn the cookies!”
“Please don’t burn the cookies.”
“Do not burn the cookies.”
a) “Not to burn the cookies!” b) “Please don’t burn the cookies.” c) “Do not burn the cookies.”
10. Which structure is not used for reported orders?
order somebody to
tell somebody to
ask somebody to
a) order somebody to b) tell somebody to c) ask somebody to
View more information: https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/sentence/reported-speech-quiz.htm