International Students Information | Towson University

On-Campus Work Authorization & Hours

Restrictions allow international students to work only on-campus for up to 20 hours
per week during fall and spring semester or full-time (40 hours) during summer and
minimester breaks.

Employment Requirements

1. Social Security Number. You must have a Social Security Number before we can enter your job into the payroll
system per state of Maryland guidelines. To get a number, follow instructions provided by the International Student & Scholar Office.

2. Form I-9 (work authorization). You must also complete Form I-9 in the Office of Human Resources
before we can set an appointment with you to conduct your tax analysis. This is a
requirement which ensures you have shown proper work authorization documentation,
as required for all employees.  You must complete one before the first day of work.

3. Tax Analysis.  Email nratax AT_TOWSONto request a record be created in Glacier™ (tax analysis software). You will receive
an e-mail with login directions from Please complete your record to the best of your ability (edits can be made by staff
if necessary, so no worries!).

4. Email to Request Appointment. Once you have completed your record, print out your tax summary sheet and e-mail
nratax AT_TOWSONto request an appointment. The appointment ensures staff is available to process your
tax file, which typically takes about twenty minutes to complete.  You must bring
your immigration documents including passport, Visa, I-94, and I-20 (from any institution)
so we can make copies for your tax files, as required by federal regulations.

5. Tax Status. Glacier determines your tax status.  For international students who work on-campus
who qualify as a NRA, tax withholding will follow the required single, 1, NRA formula,
regardless of marital status.

Awards & Scholarships

If you are an international student in F1 or J1 status, and you receive additional
payments from Towson University which do not require a service, then such payments
may be identified as a scholarship (for studies) or fellowship (for research) and
may be taxed at 14%.

International athletes may receive scholarships which pay for qualified tuition, fees
and books. They may also receive additional funding to pay for housing and meals –
which is defined by the Internal Revenue Services as non-qualified payments – and
are taxable at 14% unless a tax treaty applies allowing exemption of tax withholding.

The NRA Tax Office analyzes such payments through scholarship reporting and/or receiving
forms to process other payments. If you have been identified by our office as having
a taxable scholarship, we will contact you to ensure you complete a tax file and TU
will withhold and report the appropriate amount of tax depending on the category of
payment as defined by the Internal Revenue Service.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.