You can do this quiz online or print it on paper. It tests some of the words defined on our Grammar Vocabulary page.
1. Present participles end with
a) -ing b) -ed
2. Which is the past participle?
a) was looking b) looked
3. The nine “parts of speech” include
nouns and verbs
subjects and objects
a) nouns and verbs b) subjects and objects
4. In the passive voice, the subject of a sentence
does the verb’s action
receives the verb’s action
a) does the verb’s action b) receives the verb’s action
5. “John was shot by Lee” is in the passive voice. Which is the subject?
a) John b) Lee
6. A phrase is a group of words without a subject and its verb, such as
it’s getting late
late at night
a) it’s getting late b) late at night
7. The predicate is the part of a sentence that tells us about
a) the subject b) the object
8. Which is the predicate in the sentence “The weather was lovely”?
a) The weather b) was lovely
9. Prepositions come before nouns or noun phrases and include words like
and, but, because
to, in, over
a) and, but, because b) to, in, over
10. Pronouns replace nouns, and include words like
you, they, it
big, old, new
a) you, they, it b) big, old, new
View more information: https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/vocabulary-quiz-3.htm