You can do this quiz online or print it on paper. It tests some of the words defined on our Grammar Vocabulary page.
1. Which sentence is in the active voice?
John wrote the song.
The song was written by John.
a) John wrote the song. b) The song was written by John.
2. In the active voice, the action is done by
the subject before the verb
the object after the verb
a) the subject before the verb b) the object after the verb
3. Adjectives are words that describe
verbs or adverbs
nouns or pronouns
a) verbs or adverbs b) nouns or pronouns
4. In which sentence is “fast” an adjective?
He’s a fast runner.
He can run fast.
a) He’s a fast runner. b) He can run fast.
5. An adverb is a word that can modify
a) nouns b) verbs
6. In which sentence is “fast” an adverb?
He’s got a fast car.
He drives fast.
a) He’s got a fast car. b) He drives fast.
7. Which of these articles is an indefinite article?
a) a b) the
8. Which sentence contains a definite article?
We saw a movie.
The movie was great.
a) We saw a movie. b) The movie was great.
9. An auxiliary verb is used with
a proper noun
a main verb
a) a proper noun b) a main verb
10. In the question “Did you win?”, which is the auxiliary verb?
a) Did b) win