If you think a whoopie pie is a cookie, you’re right. If you think it’s a pie, you’re also right. If you think it’s a cake, you’re right again. These cake-like cookie circles that sandwich a sweet, fluffy filling go by a variety of names — black moon, gob, and even Big Fat Oreo — and can be considered either one of the three desserts mentioned above.
Even though they look similar, the whoopie pie shouldn’t be confused with the macaron or moon pie. Whoopie pies are in a league of their own, and they aren’t that hard to make. With a little practice, you can be a whoopie pie pro in no time (and your friends will be deliciously impressed).
Whoopie Pie Fun Facts
1. The whoopie pie is believed to have originated as an Amish dessert in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
2. In 2010, Maine named the whoopie pie the Official State Treat.
3. How did the whoopie pie get its name? No one knows for sure, but tradition has it that when Amish children found out their mother was making this dessert for them, they would excitedly shout “whoopie!” — who wouldn’t?
4. The largest whoopie pie in the world was created by confectioners in South Portland, Maine on March 26, 2011. It weighed a whooping 1,062 pounds and was used as a charity opportunity to raise money for troops serving abroad. You can find a picture of it here and a video here.
5. In 2002, Ben & Jerry’s released a “Makin’ Whoopie Pie” flavor. It was chocolate ice cream with a mixture of marshmallow and devil’s food cookies. Sounds delicious, but we’ll probably never know — in 2003, Ben & Jerry’s decided the ice cream just wasn’t whoopie enough and sent it to the grave.
10 Non-Traditional Whoopie Pie Recipes
Traditionally, whoopie pies have been black and white, with chocolate cake in cookie form on the outside and white cream or frosting in the middle. Creative cooks, however, have long done away with tradition and introduced all kinds of whoopie pies to tempt our tastebuds. From chocolate peanut butter to luscious lemon and even a morning cereal flavor, check out these 10 tasty must-try non-traditional whoopie pie recipes.
1. Lemon Blueberry Whoopie Pies
A trip to Maine inspired this soft and sumptuous dessert. I guarantee you are going to love these! Get the Lemon Blueberry Whoopie Pies recipe from A Spicy Perspective.
2. Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies
Chocolate plus peanut butter takes the classic whoopie pie to a whole new level. Get the Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies recipe from Deliciously Sprinkled.
3. Lemon Whoopie Pies
Here’s a fun and bright lemon-flavored whoopie pie to brighten your day. The cream cheese filling will leave you wanting more. Get the Lemon Whoopie Pies recipe from Spicy Southern Kitchen.
4. Spiced Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Soft and light spiced pumpkin cookies sandwiched together with a decadent, yet easy to make, browned butter maple cinnamon frosting! Get the Spiced Pumpkin Whoopie Pies recipe from The Chunky Chef.
5. Chocolate Raspberry Whoopie Pies
Chocolate and raspberry are a great combination. Get the Chocolate Raspberry Whoopie Pies recipe from Taste of Home.
6. Butterfinger Whoopie Pies
Two butterfinger cake cookies filled with butterfinger frosting — so good! Get the Butterfinger Whoopie Pies recipe from Inside BruCrew Life.
7. Banana Bread Whoopie Pies
Have you ever tried banana bread in cookie form with a thick fluffy layer of frosting sandwiched between two of them? Well, now you can! Get the Banana Bread Whoopie Pies recipe from Cooking Classy.
8. Pink Velvet Fruity Pebble Cereal Whoopie Pies
Good morning, dessert! Get the Pink Velvet Fruity Pebble Cereal Whoopie Pies recipe from Cookies & Cups.
9. Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Soft, cake-like cookies sandwiched with a smooth and sweet cream cheese frosting. Get the Red Velvet Whoopie Pies recipe from Roxana’s Home Baking.
10. Chocolate Coconut Whoopie Pies
Who can resist delicious chocolate cookies made with cake mix and a coconut cream center! Get the Chocolate Coconut Whoopie Pies recipe from The Recipe Critic.
Featured photo credit: Didriks / Flickr via flickr.com
View more information: https://www.lifehack.org/327199/whoopie-10-tasty-whoopie-pie-recipes-that-you-shouldnt-miss